Nine months have passed since I left the States and made my move to SE Asia. With the close of the year, here is a bit of year-end review, via a little list and random statistics. Sign up for a chance at a postcard too! Read more at the bottom of the post.
Things experienced and/or accomplished:
- Moved to Thailand
- Traveled to two new countries (only two!)
- Learned of the Laos people’s generosity and ability to drink…at a restaurant opening
- Experienced Thai nightlife at a Pub opening
- Met some fantastic new friends from Croatia, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, and of course Thailand (to name a few)
- Experienced the breath-taking Thai Lantern Festival
- Hung out with tigers – TWICE!
- Volunteered with adorable children
- Had art, made by my two hands, in a gallery
- Got soaking wet at Songkran
- Lived on the 31st floor of a vacant apartment building in the shape of an elephant
- Moved to a land of massage parlors and awesome neighbors
- Shared my favorite Thai city, Ayutthaya, with loved ones
- Found new places to love in Bangkok: like the Green Lungs
- Feel deeply in love with Ta Prohm
- Visited a Sikh temple and took pictures with Sikhs
- Took two formal art classes
- Rediscovered my favorite fruit: pomelo
- Went to a muay thai match…and enjoyed it [overall]
- Had an amazing dinner at a fancy pants restaurant, thanks to our awesome friend
Random Statistics –
- 2 Bieber haircuts received (TWICE!! Gahhh)
- 1 Strange food eaten: blood “tofu” (ONCE!)
- 67 Temples visited (Is that it?)
- 10 Planes taken
- 2 Trains taken
- 9 Bus rides (1.5+ hours or more)
- 3 Doctor visits
- 2 Monkeys that jumped on me (Jerks!)
- 21 Tigers touched
- 1 Elephant touched (My tiger to elephant ratio seems wrong!)
- 1 Motorcycle hit by (A win for Bangkok!)
- 15 Art exhibits viewed
- 1 Yoga class taken
- 18 Volunteering events (Too low.)
- 2 Weddings missed
- 3 Loved ones lost
- 4 Tokyo Toasts consumed (with help)
- 4 Glasses of wine enjoyed
- 6 Cokes drank out of plastic bag
- ∞ ice creams devoured (It’s hot here and stuff!)
- ∞ of Food pictures taken (That’s normal, right?)
- 36 Posts
Overall, a pretty good year! I would have passed on the bits of sadness but the years has been overwhelmingly filled with a lot of joy and new experiences.
It looks like the 2014 will be moving us to a new country and so I must pack all of my acquired stuff again. And once AGAIN, begin the purging process. So help me get rid of my postcard stash!
Leave a comment on any post for a chance for me to send you a postcard from Thailand. Let me know what you’ve enjoyed reading, your favorite color, whatever you got, I’d loved to hear from you! I will put your name in a stocking (don’t have a hat) and draw 10 names to receive postcards. Drawing will be done January 6th, midnight EST. One comment per post, please. I will contact you by email for your address when you win!
Hope you have a fantastic New Year and thanks for traveling with me!